Wondering how to make a ginger bug or even what it is? A ginger bug is a starter culture used to make drinks called a variety of names like ginger beer, gingerade, ginger ale and more!
A ginger bug is used to make a fermented beverage similar to kombucha or water kefir. You don’t need to know what those things are but if you do, you’ll have an idea of what I’m talking about. What all these drinks have in common is the good bacteria they have. This in turn gives you a happy belly and improves immunity and more.
Here’s video Ricky and a little helper made showing just how to make a ginger bug. It’s actually quite easy.
As you can see, Ricky didn’t really follow a strict recipe. He did follow these basic guidelines:
- Use filtered / unchlorinated water.
- Use sugar – about 1/2 cup is a good amount. Must be sugar. No honey or maple syrup.
- Use fresh ginger. Fill half a small jar of chopped ginger or use a full ginger root.
- Put in your sugar and ginger and fill your jar up with the water.
- Cover with a cloth to keep the bugs out.